Analyzing and promoting issues in health policy Nurse manager’s perspective.
* Patient and professional advocacy are clearly needed now with such vivid threats to health care delivery as patient safety and RN scarcity.
* The Policy Analysis Model (PAM) is described as a cognitive framework for health policy analysis.
* The PAM was developed as a tool for nurse managers to wrestle with emerging policy issues through the identification of various forces at play.
* The steps in the PAM include identification of: problems; social factors; financial ethical/legal, and political constraints; and policy alternatives, objectives, and evaluation of options.
* Nurse managers can utilize this framework as a way to educate and involve their staff as a vehicle for individual professional development, as well as local, regional, or national change.
* Several policy Web sites are offered as resources for identifying issues affecting nursing.