- Plaintext email only
Ramon Moran, PhD
- Member for
- 6 years 7 months
There is currently much interest in how workplace spirituality can contribute to organizational effectiveness, employee human development and more recently, in how it may contribute to police well-being and effectiveness (Willis, 2010; Tuck, 2009; Charles, 2009). However, there is a lack of research and understanding of the integration of workplace spirituality into police training and its inclusion in administrative policy objectives. To better understand how workplace spirituality may be integrated into police training and conceptualized within administrative polices, a content analysis of the literature (i.e., police training curriculum, police administrative policies and published law enforcement articles and research) may yield data findings for extrapolation of common categories of salient concepts, practices, constructs and meaning, that can help in articulating the practice of integration of workplace spirituality in police training and administrative policy objectives.
The anticipated research study goals include: to contribute to a better understanding of how workplace spirituality may be beneficial to police officer well being and effectiveness; to contribute knowledge that would facilitate increased discussion and interest in the benefits of integration of workplace spirituality; and to contribute data that could be helpful in contributing to a common set of terms and concepts regarding what workplace spirituality is.
- Overarching Research Question(s): What does the conceptualization and integration of workplace spirituality look like in police training literature, published research, and administrative policies in a cross-section of police departments and centers?
- Focus & Research Design: Qualitative description of conceptualization of workplace spirituality in current police training and policy objectives conducted through a comparative content analysis of published research and related documents.
- Factors: Diversity in workplace, high stress and coping, police training, challenges to integration of spirituality in the workplace, concepts of spirituality.
- Scope: Content analysis of selected police training curriculum, published research studies & administrative documents.
- Outcome: To provide data findings that can help researchers to further conceptualize workplace spirituality in the context of police training and policy making, and to provide recommendations and direction for further research on the planning and implementation of workplace spirituality in police departments.