The most important thing you can do as a manager is hire good people. This is easier said than done. Hiring is not yet a science. However, there are things we can do to give ourselves the best chance to choose the right people.
- Identify competencies and integrate them into a job description.
- Develop a fair and consistent interviewing process for selecting employees, using a variety of interview strategies, including behavior description interview (BDI) techniques.
- Enhance communication skills of listening, asking questions and observing, that are essential for a skilled recruiter.
- Understand the questions that are not legal to ask.
- Have a format for checking references