A Survey of Patients with Inflatable Penile Prostheses for Satisfaction

Abstract: 

Purpose:  We assessed patient satisfaction with 3 types of penile prostheses, namely the AMS 700 Series, Mentor Alpha 1, and Mentor Alpha NB.

Materials & Methods:  The subjects consisted of 330 patients selected by stratified, systematic random sampling from among 1,298 subjects undergoing virgin 3-piece inflatable penile implant surgeries performed by the same surgical team at 1 hospital between january 1992 and December 1998.  Data were collected by computer assisted telephone interviewing with a survey developed by the authors.  The survey consisted of 37 questions in 7 sections, including 1 demographic section and 6 patient satisfaction sections.

Results:  Of the 330 patients selected 248 (75%) could be contacted.  Of these, 199 (80%) responded to the full survey and the remaining 49 (20%) agreed to respond only to the questions, :How satisfed are you with the prosthesis?"  Of the 199 full responders 12 (6%) had AMS implants and 187 (94%) had Mentor implants.  Of the 248 patients the overall satisfaction rate was 69%.  Although there was no significant difference at the 5% level in patient satisfaction by implant type, responses tended to favor the Alpha IPPs in terms of overall sexual satisfaction (p=0.058), natural feeling of prosthesis (p=0.061, flaccid appearance of the penis when deflated (p=0.054), and education with demonstration of inflation and deflation (p=0.075).

Conclusion:  There was a high degree of overall patient satisfaction across implant types.

This publication has been peer reviewed.
Publication Type: 
Journal Article
Authors: 
Mary Jo Brinkman, PhD
Gerard D. Henry, MD
Steven K. Wilson, MD
John R. Delk, II, MD
George A. Denny, PhD
Michael Young, PhD
Mario A. Cleves, PhD
Year of Publication: 
2005
Journal, Book, Magazine or Other Publication Title: 
The Journal of Urology
Volume: 
174
Issue: 
1
Pages: 
253-257
Publisher: 
Eilsevier Inc.
Date Published: 
Friday, July 8, 2005
Publication Language: 
English
DOI: 
10.1097/01.ju.0000161608.21337.8d
Editors: 
American Urological Association
Boyer's Domain: 

2021

Articles/Blogs

Journal of Leadership Studies-Symposium Piece-Relational Leadership: Perspectives of Key Constructs on Diversity, Inclusion, and Social Equity in Higher Education

Psychology Today
Blog Posts Published

Conferences

American Psychological Association Conference-Utilizing Clinical Hypnotherapeutic Intervention with CBT to Treat Pandemic-Aug. 13-2021 Symptomology

ILA Conference Geneva Switzerland 2021
Presenter -Topic-"The Stress Arc in Leadership and 3 Powerful Disciplines for Mitigating Major Stress Impacts in a New Era"-Upcoming
Presenter -Topic-“Improving Higher Education’s Role in Diversity and Social Equity through Relational Leadership in the New Era”-Upcoming
Presenter-Topic-"Healthcare Leadership-Using Virtuous Leadership in Chaos to Reimagine Beneficial Practices of Employee Cognitive Psychology"-Upcoming
 
2021-Knowledge Without Boundaries National Summit-College of Doctoral Studies Research Conference-University of Phoenix-Panel Discussion-"Exploring Emergent Trends in Leadership and Education"-Based on published symposia article from the Journal of Leadership Studies- https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/jls.21734