How to Add News
Adding News to Your Group
The "News" content type allows group members to submit news articles for display in your group's newsroom. If desired, your group administrator has the ability to promote to your group's home page.
Approved news articles are automatically sent to all member's of a group when published.
You must be an active affiliate of a Research Center or other group to submit News for moderation.
When to Use a News Article
The news feature is intended for third-person, objectively-written announcements. Opinion pieces or first-person writing should be reserved for blog entries.
There is no visible authorship beyond the group of origin. At the top level of the site, we promote news items that explain recent successes, upcoming events, and other updates. Regardless of origin, these items will all be featured in the site’s main newsroom, which means that each news piece that is published needs to be coherent and relevant.
If you are announcing an event, whether it be a physical or online meeting, please also create an Event listing for inclusion on the calendar. Instructions are in the following section.
To Add News to Your Group
- Log in to the website
- Click “Shortcuts” in the black navigation bar at the top of the page
- Click “Add Content”
- Select “News”
- The form will open that allows you to add a news item to your group.
- Complete the Title, Summary, and Body sections, at minimum.
- If you are a member of more than one group on the site, select the intended group on the “Group Affiliation” drop-down.
- Scroll down to the "Revision Information" section and change the Moderation State to "Needs Review"
- Click Publish. Your News item will then be entered into a "Needs Review" queue for your group.
- An unpublished version of your article will appear.
- Your group administrator or another content moderator will then approve the content, making it live on the site, or deny and provide feedback for improvement.
Please use the descriptions below to best fill out the Add News page.
- News Type: See section below for help with this required field.
- Title: This will be the main title of your piece and will be the header once published. What is typed here should indicate the intent of the discussion and be engaging, prompting others to click to view.
- Featured Image: This image will be included at the top of the news item, to the left. It will be resized to fit the space. Click ‘Browse’ to open the Media Library, where you can then upload an image or find one in the existing library.
- Body: This is where the article content is included.
- Edit Summary: This hyperlink reveals a hidden field that allows you to create a brief summary of your news item, which will display in certain views. It is optional and you can click the hyperlink again to hide the field at any time.
- Group Affiliation: You will need to manually select the affiliation(s) you would like this blog entry to be affiliated with.
- Links: This section allows you to feature links to other pages on Research Hub, or on other websites.
- Attachments: You can use this field to add any forms or other items being referenced in the discussion.
Selecting Your News Type
Adding News allows you to create a news entry within your group. There are four different types of news items to choose from. A brief description of each of the four types is included below. Use this to determine which news type best suits your entry.
- Article: The most commonly used form of News item, this content is brief (typically less than 600 characters), and is written in an impartial, third-party perspective.
- Newsletter: This content is longer and may include a main topic and several smaller sections, denoted by formatted sub-heads within the body. Note: This news type differs from the admin Newsletter tool, which is a different content type.
- Press Release: This indicates a News item that has been formatted to meet press release standards, and could be easily lifted by media for wider distribution.
- Opinion: This indicates that the content is the opinion of the writer and is not written in a journalistic style, unlike the other three News Types.
Adding a Summary
Summaries are automatically created using the text in the “Body” field. It usually clips the summary at the end of the first paragraph. If you start an article with the word “Dr.” it often clips the summary after the period.
It’s important to manually edit this before clicking publish. To do so, click the ‘Edit Summary’ hyperlink to reveal a hidden, minimized field that allows you to create a brief, plain text summary of your article.
In creating the summary, you can copy and paste the first sentence or two from the article’s body, or create a custom description. The best way to do this is to ask yourself “Why does this article matter?” because that is what people who are reading it – those who have not already clicked through based on the title alone – want answered. Best practice dictates this summary should be limited to 1 to 2 sentences.
How to Publish or Save as Draft
At the bottom of the page, there are three options to choose from, all explained below.
- Publish: Clicking this button prepares your draft for review by a moderator. If approved, your article will be published to your group newsroom and notifies all group members of the new item.
- Save as Draft: Clicking this button saves the draft to the system to be addressed by you, the author, at a later time.
- Cancel: This button returns you to the previous screen and does NOT save any information you’ve added on this page.